HaHa both because it is the casual word for mama in Japanese and it expresses my desire to find the humour in all we experience.







Monday, August 23, 2010

A culture of giving

In Japan it is cutomary to bring a gift, such as a box of sweets with you, when you visit your aquaintances or those to whom you feel an obligation.

I just returned from the store with six boxes of Maple cookies (perfect leaf shape too).
I also bought Ice wine, books for the kindergarden, Dulse (maritime seaweed) and pins with ducks on them that say 'Sackville'.  Yes, it may take an entire suitcase to get them there.

 Hopefully we have enough for everyone.

2 comments:

  1. love the orange. reminds me of a great essay by helene cixous.
    looking forward to following this. Love Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm missing you, Christina. Is that Osaka in the photograph? It looks like a combination of Paris, Venice, and New York.

    ReplyDelete